Saturday 27 July 2019

BDSM podcasts

Not long ago I wrote a post blogging and age profile. In it I discussed a possible move away from blogging to other social networking possibilities. I have recently realised there is another approach that I did not discuss then - podcasts.

Podcasts are an increasingly popular medium. I have read a couple of articles recently about the growth of sex related podcasting. I listen to the radio a lot and might occasionally catch up on programmes I have missed using my computer or tablet. However I do not subscribe to any podcasts though I have occasionally wondered about browsing them. I wondered if there were many BDSM related podcasts. So I Googled BDSM podcasts.

I am clearly the last to catch up with this phenomena. There were pages and pages of results. Erotica, discussions, advice - the variety was huge. It is even available on Apple podcasts and on Spotify.

So is that Pygar's new way forward? Should Uncle Agony give out his advice on a podcast rather than a blog? Is listening to articles, thoughts and ideas the the way busy people can have time to access them rather than by reading? It may also be it is a way for people to access longer posts.

Do you listen to podcasts? Would you prefer to listen to blog posts rather than read them? Do you follow any BDSM podcasts? If you do have any recommendations for good BDSM related podcasts do let us know. Perhaps I should link to some on the side bar as well as blogs.

And what about Pygar? Do I need to start practising my audio skills and start recording and broadcasting?

11 comments:

Jz said...

I do listen to the odd BDSM podcast upon occasion - but I also find that a lot of them start up with a bang and then fizzle out fairly soon. I suspect it's a lot more work than it is fun once the novelty wears off. On the other hand, take that for what it's worth, coming from a woman who's so busy at the moment that she's having trouble finding time to post even a picture!

(If you go for it, however, I will listen!) :-D

Pygar said...

Thanks Jz. Any favourite podcasts???

I am certain that it is lots and lots of work. It would be far more time consuming than writing. I think there is money to be made though. If I was younger and more ambitious (and female?) I should perhaps give it a go. However, given that I struggle to find time to post on here regularly I think getting a professional sounding podcast ready each week would be beyond me.

I'll have a chat with Uncle Agony though. Perhaps he would be up for it!

:)

P xx

Pygar said...

PS As I always say, the best bit of this blog is the comments from readers. Can I still get that with a podcast?

willie said...

I say why not, if you want to reach a larger audience? To answer your question, no I don't listen to podcasts. I also don't listen to audio books. I suppose even though they speak to me, they don't speak to me..lol. Perhaps you could do podcasts in addition too ?

willie

Jz said...

One that I like (and that actually has been around for a long time) is Erotic Awakening podcast (with Dan and dawn). From things the two of them have said, I don't think it's that easy to make money from a podcast, even if you do go with paid advertisers. I get the impression that podcasting needs to be seen as a labor of love, or else you risk disappointment.

You can certainly make sure in each podcast that people know how to get in touch, if you want the personal interaction. I don't know how the responses will stack up in comparison to reader comments but since even those can be like blood from a stone, I simply don't know what to suggest you expect. (You could always try reaching out to Dan at EA and see if he has any advice...)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'd love to hear your voice.

Pygar said...

Thanks willie.

Yes, it would be interesting to see if it did reach a larger audience. I suppose as with any internet based activity building an audience in itself requires a certain amount of energy, expertise and marketing skills. I no longer put much effort into marketing the blog, partly because of pressures on my time. So to properly market a new venture such as podcasts would take away time from my vanilla projects. It is all a matter of balance I suppose. Also I would need to be sure I had something worth saying. Though many of the previous popular blog posts would provide a good start I suppose.

I'm in danger though of talking myself into it!

P xx

Pygar said...

Thank you Jz. I hadn't come across Dan and dawn's site and blog. So I also hadn't found their podcasts. Readers who are interested can find their Erotic Awakening podcasts here. From there you can also easily find their main site and blog.

I will certainly make time to listen to some of them.

If I published podcasts on a blog then I could still receive written comments from listeners. However I guess that having them on a general podcast site where people can search and find them would lead to more listeners - but then would not give the same ease of comment.

As you write...
I get the impression that podcasting needs to be seen as a labor of love, or else you risk disappointment.
...but I am not sure whether I would be able to give that level of commitment.

Thanks again, very much

P xxxx

Pygar said...

I am not sure anonymous whether you would love it as much when you had heard it!!!

:)

P xx

Lea said...

I don't listen to any podcasts. I'm not opposed to them, but they aren't convenient for me - I don't have the right devices.

Pygar said...

Thanks Lea. Though I think for most of them you can listen on a variety of devices, including your computer.

P xx