Monday 26 August 2019

a BDSM spectrum

In a reply to a tweet I posted EisleyXO wrote "I feel like it’s more of a bdsm spectrum now more than ever."

There clearly is a wide spectrum of what people would consider as BDSM or D/s. At one end it may get close to an example I gave in an earlier post about service with little or no play or sexual element. At the other end it could involve heavy sado-masochist play and a slave contract.

So what would the minimum be for a relationship to be regarded as BDSM?

EisleyXO suggested, "Creating a safe environment, pushing limits, ensuring proper after care, and giving a sub the attention they crave could be considered the bare minimum of a d/s dynamic..."

I could agree with most of this but is "pushing limits" an essential part of a BDSM relationship? Though that is perhaps getting into a different discussion. (Perhaps next week!)

For now I wonder what others regard as the bare minimum for a dynamic to be considered BDSM?

2 comments:

Lea said...

I think there is still a spectrum, but some kind of power exchange, whether it is permanent, or just for a scene is needed.

Pygar said...

I think you may have it Lea. Yes, there has to be some kind of power exchange surely? So if the service is just offered and given but not requested or demanded - then that is perhaps one sided and not an exchange. So perhaps the service oriented example I gave in an earlier post might not be a BDSM relationship on this definition?

P xx